Took the family to the ballpark last night to watch Yu Darvish and the Texas Rangers against the Oakland A's. Here are some observations:
1) Both kids were excited about going. Very rare that both agree on anything.
2) Rangers announced 45K in the park for a Wednesday night game with school still in session. Winning + Yu = 45K
3) Sitting upper deck in the first row between home and 1st. Nice seats at $20 via Stub Hub. Still a great place to watch a game.
4) Glance up at the scoreboard and see the averages for the A's players. They were bad by little league standards! There were so bad that if I was the opposing little league coach I will tell my pitcher if we get a good lead let some of these guys get a hit. How are they in 2nd in the division?
5) Speaking of little league, Yu looks like a little league pitcher at times. Threw a number of pitches at 64 mph. Of course, he also threw at 94, too. How many pitchers have a 30 mph difference in their pitches?
6) Yu = Ace. Would still like to have CJ but I wouldn't trade Yu for CJ.
7) Speaking of trading Yu...not many pitchers I would trade him for straight up considering his age and contract status and what he's done so far.
8) Fernando is the only pitcher to win ROY and Cy Young in the same season. This may need to be updated in 5 months.
9) Alberto Gonzalez hitting 2nd for the Rangers? Wash does put out some weird lineups at times. Left 5 guys on base in his first three ABs hitting in front of Josh Hamilton. (Officially only 4 but he hit into a DP on one of those.)
10) 1 1/3 innings of relief. No hits and 4 Ks. That will do pig.
11) Switched seats for the 9th. Went to the lower bowl and found some empty seats to watch Nathan strike out the side. Oh, to be rich.
12) Fantasy Alert for those in (real) deep AL only leagues. Brandon Snyder is a player. Look for him to get more starts against left handers moving forward.
13) Fantasy Alert for shallow leagues. Josh Hamilton is a good.